Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Thrill of Summer






The day is hyper clear, the sky is deep blue.  The sun is warm, the breeze soothing, the air ripe with possibility.  It is the beginning of summer.  What is it about warm weather that makes us feel younger, lighter, optimistic?  The plants are exploding with growth (especially the grass!  yey mowing!)  and everything is so green.  Its mind boggling, especially after such a long winter.  K. built a trellis out of cedar and today I will anchor the trellis and plant the same purple beans my grandmother grew each summer along her arbor.  



After a recent rain I discovered a line in my intended planting location against the garage, so time for plan B.  After some online research, I planned to purchase rebar and hose clamps to anchor the trellis to the ground 6 inches in front of the garage.  (The goal of the trellis is to grow a delightful vine and add some beauty to grey asphalt shingles)  However, once I arrived at the hardware store the clerk had an even simpler idea: metal stakes and zip ties.


So with the help of my neighbor I set the stakes and zip tied the trellis to the stakes.  Beans are planted in the ground, and here is the result.

Update 7/3/15: during my mom’s recent visit we shifted the trellis left.  The beans are looking peaked, possibly due to shade from the helenium.  Hopefully the move will help!


No comments:

Post a Comment